In his pre-agenda speech in Parliament, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán declared that the biggest flood Hungary had ever experienced has left the country without causing any casualties or major damage, adding that through recent protection efforts along the flooding river Danube, the country has proved that it stands united and strong when people are needed on the dykes.
The government has started preparation for post-flood restoration and improvement works and the government has appointed disaster management chief György Bakondi commissioner for flood repair works, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said at this morning’s press conference in Győrújfalu, north of Budapest, adding that the government is awaiting claims from municipalities concerning damages caused by the flooding river Danube.
Owing to the flood situation, the Tourism Deputy State Secretariat of the Ministry for National Economy and the Budapest Festival and Tourism Centre Nonprofit Ltd. join forces to provide up-to-date information for tourists visiting Budapest. To ensure that visitors to the city have access to all relevant information while the flood abates, the Ministry, which is also responsible for tourism, will collaborate with the Municipality’s tourism marketing and cultural events management company to ensure that the latest developments concerning transport, tourist attractions and hotels are always available to the public.
The government will on Tuesday start an assessment of flood-related damage and set the schedule for the post-flood clean-up, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said on Tuesday in the village of Tököl, south of Budapest, stressing, however, that there are another two tough days ahead.
Prime Minister Viktor Orbán held a joint press conference with Budapest Mayor István Tarlós this morning at the Római Bank of the Danube, one of the flood-hit districts of Budapest. The Prime Minister informed that water level on the Danube broke the all-time record in Budapest and crested at 8.91 metres on Sunday evening. So far some 1 500 people have been evacuated due to the flooding and about 6 800 consumers were left without electricity or water. A state of emergency is to be extended, the Prime Minister said.
Flood related latest news and pieces of advice for foreign citizens staying or having their residence in Hungary are available on the website of the National Directorate General for Disaster Management.
This weekend public dignitaries and high-ranking officials have been closely following up flood protection operations along the flooding Danube.
Hungary's Parliament will prepare to extend the state of emergency called at the beginning of last week due to the flood situation, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán told a news conference today in the city of Esztergom, north of Budapest.
Daily info on the website of the National Directorate General for Disaster Management (NDGDM).
972 people have been evacuated so far and more than 5.8 million sandbags had been placed at dykes by dawn, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán told journalists later this morning near Győrújfalu, one of the critical settlements evacuated on Friday.